The Department of Chemistry was established in the year 1962. In the year 1982, it was upgraded by the affiliation of B.Sc. degree in Chemistry with Physics and Mathematics/Botany as ancillary subjects. Being conferred the autonomy in the year 1995, the Department had designed its own curriculum to meet the local needs and social requirements of the surroundings. The department has an excellent academic record and has bagged several ranks of the Bharathiar University, Coimbatore, for several consecutive years. The Department has two laboratories, well furnished and equipped with instruments like UV- Visible spectrophotometers, Polarogram, Muffle furnace etc., a chemical store room and an instrumentation room.
The Department of Chemistry has a well – established academic track record of having produced more than 2000 chemistry graduates. The department has well qualified and experienced faculty members. It has an excellent academic record in preparing students for career and higher studies. The Department has received funds from UGC to carry out minor research projects, many National level Seminars/ Workshops under various fields of chemistry have been organized every year with funds received from various funding agencies. Faculties have publications of research articles in reputed National and International journals.
Envisions to produce skilled, dedicated and disciplined chemists through academic eminence, mastery of scientific skills, value based education and social service.
• To impart quality chemistry education by offering sound knowledge in theoretical, practical and technical chemistry.
• To develop innovative instructional techniques for lecture and laboratory courses.
• To foster the desire for higher education and research.
• To instil social responsibilities through extension activities and value education.
• To enable the students to emerge as jobholders or entrepreneurs.
• To communicate the excitement of chemistry to the public at large.
Highlights of the Department:
• DST- FIST sponsored department (2016-2017).
• DBT- STAR College scheme supported department (2017-2020)
• The University Grants Commission had sanctioned Rs. 1 lakh to the Department to organise One day National Level Seminar on “Emerging Trends in Frontiers of Chemistry”(ETFC-2014)
• To make the course more job fetching and entrepreneurship promoting, the department offers very useful subjects including Elective Courses: i) Polymer Chemistry
ii) Dye Chemistry
iii) Agricultural Chemistry
Skill Enhancement Courses: i) Applications of computer in Chemistry
ii) Chemistry for Exploration I and II
• Outgoing students are always encouraged to pursue PG degree in good spirits, to fine tune that our curriculum is set in high standard.
• The students are encouraged and counselled from the beginning and their mind frame is developed to take on competitive exams like TNPSC, IAS etc.
• Alumni of the department are eminent researchers at various Institutions, reputed pharmaceutical and chemical industries.
• To gain theoretical knowledge lively, we frequently arrange chemical industry visits.
• Our students participated in the Paper presentation, Quiz, Competitions etc., and awarded many prizes.